Sunday, June 03, 2007

Trek 100 Charity Ride For Hope - MACC Fund

Yesterday - June 2nd was our 12th anniversary! It's the first anniversary I've missed since we got hitched. I think my wife will forgive me, as I spent the day riding a 100k (62 miles for you math geniuses out there), raising money to defeat childhood cancers.

The ride turned into 70 miles as we were diverted to a different road by a zealous group leader... I don't know the total of how many people participated in the ride, but I know that we helped raise over $1.5 million USD to support the MACC Fund. This was my first time riding more than 50 miles. I've ridden 50 miles before, but not too often - you see I'm a mountain biker, not a roadie, so this was difficult for me. I have to say, that I've never felt better after riding - something about doing this to support this cause energized me. I'm not saying I wasn't beat, I was, I just felt so good, it amazed me!

At mile marker 23 I was a little worried I wouldn't make it, since we went off course and tacked on an extra 8 miles, I wasn't sure I was going to have the legs to continue. But somehow I caught my 14th wind and was able to pull through, not to surprisingly the last 5 miles were the hardest, not because of hills, but because my legs hurt - I had been singing a song by my brother Wayne, who passed away from a childhood cancer Ewing's Sarcoma, it was aptly titled "Pinch the Cats Tail". My favorite line "Syrup in every square" referring to the way we Limburgs fill each square of a waffle with syrup. My other favorite reference in that song is "Formica mountain tops". I just kept singing that song in my head and it gave me some strength to continue - even though Wayne couldn't.

I crashed in my hotel room after the ride. Jenny and I had a good phone conversation, covering the immense amount of love we share, and how we both feel dependent on each other for loving support etc. It's amazing how a fatiguing ride makes one feel closer to those they love. I can't wait for my next long ride for a cause like this one. I'll post some photos when I return home.

Any way, if you read this blog, I hope you find ways to contribute to a cause that helps combat cancer.

No comments: