Friday, February 26, 2010

Change is Hard

Instead of wringing my hands helplessly during Daniel's health problems I've decided to take a more proactive approach. Since I'm the preparer of all the food I'm going to make a change. A healthy change. I didn't even think we ate that badly. I put fruit in everyone's lunch boxes (if it doesn't come back that means they ate it right?) and we always have vegetables at dinner (always being 82% of the time). I've switched over to whole grains (Mom, I think this rice is dirty cuz it's brown). And those Reese's Puffs have some vitamins right? But now I just don't think it's enough.

I gave up eating refined sugar almost two years ago but I have Diet Coke every day. That's probably worse. As I started looking at the labels of our Cheezit's, Nutri-grain bars, and even our Skippy peanut butter I wondered if these foods with their high-fructose corn syrup, partially hydrogenated oil, and other words I can't even pronounce are in some way to blame for Daniel's condition.

If the possibility of cancer isn't enough to make me change I don't know what will. I can tell this is going to be a difficult change. Making healthy meals is expensive and time consuming! All I know is that I have to figure it out.

So I guess I'm not going to be buying any more soda....but I do have 4 cases of Cherry Coke Zero left and it would be a shame to let them go to waste.

Here's our first experiment: My kids love Nutri-grain bars so I found a recipe for Whole-Wheat Fruit Bars and Mallory helped me make them. They turned out pretty good.








10 comments:

Tonia Z said...

WOW... I've been following silently what has been going on with your family, but somehow it seems unreal unless we have to deal with it in our own lives. My prayers are with you and your family. And your break from diet coke inspires me! :)

dan23dan23 said...

Tonia,

Looks like I have Lymphoma... Unconfirmed until my next Biopsy, they are taking out a lymphnode on March 11th. This all came about in the last month.

There may be some links to my diet, and we want to make a healthy change too, so Jenny is leading us down the path of being healthy!

I'll keep you posted on twitter and facebook with the occasional update on the blog.

I'll be ok, life will just suck for a little bit then it will be back to a healthier normal pace.

Melissa said...

I admire you for doing this. I would have to be way more organized, but I think it's worth it. I don't think it's an accident that cancer is more prevalent as things have gotten more "convenient". Food, transportation, energy sources...it's all so convenient, but it makes me wonder at what price? I guess one day we'll know. We're still pulling for your family. You look GREAT by the way in that smiling photo of you. :D

The Gray Family said...

wow...you are a better mom than me :>) Good luck with all these changes. You can do it, especially with such great little helpers!!!

Casey Lee said...

I know you said the organic milk at Traders was pretty pricey, but even if you dont get that, did you check out their peanut butter and what not? I one day came home and saw even in my dang CRUTONS there was high fructose corn syrup, it just seems to un-natural to eat that kind of stuff! Its been happening over the past year or so, but we pretty much try to ONLY shop there and eat "natural" foods. Or just try to make them myself (like your fruit bars!) You should check out Traders sodas also...then again you said you weren't eating the refined sugar right? I'm sure thats somewhere in there. Just a couple changes here and there do so much difference! And those bars look yummy! I'm praying for your family Jenny, and Im sure I can speak for the rest of us so cal girls, we love and miss you!

the Chandler chronicles said...

Costco is a great place to find lots of cheap organic foods, they are beginning to carry much more. Their Kirkland peanut butter and jelly are awesome and organic and all natural. Also, look for a seventh day Adventist grocery in your area, they subscribe to a healthier diet and usually have lower prices. Good luck--it's worth it!

Kristin said...

I LOVE your matching zebra aprons. Too cute! I'll have to google a recipe for those bars (unless you'd like to post it or email it to me dkdsbaker@sbcglobal.net) I want to make some--they look so tasty!

Christina said...

LOVE IT! you WONT regret it--we never purchase sodas, juice, chips, fruit snacks, fruit bars, cookies etc etc etc--we stick to our Nuriche & i also follow www.trainermomma.com she has SUCH good healthy normal meals to eat!

we also have a garden growing ALL year long, right now even in the WINTER! we have broccoli, tomatoes are STILL going strong-cauliflower-its too fun!

The Nay Family said...

You are so good, Jenny! I really admire you for making all these healthy changes. Baby steps girl...you can do it! We have been keeping you all in our prayers and are hoping you get some answers SOON! :)

Btw- The aprons are adorable, fruit bars look super yummy and if you need anyone to take some of that cherry coke zero off your hands, I think I know someone who could help you out...Just sayin'. ;)

Sara said...

i found organic milk at costco last week! Chad said, "and it doesn't taste that bad either." : ) im trying so hard to change too and i so so so agree with you. I wish it were easier to eat only real food. your fruit bars are an inspiration... and i want one! i think as more and more people stop buying all the junk, we'll begin to see more and more available in regular stores at reasonable prices. lots of love to you and Daniel. still have you all in our prayers.