Sunday, August 15, 2010

Why I go to church every Sunday

There are actually lots of reasons I go to church but lately I've been feeling particularly grateful for the feeling of peace that I get at church every week. Throughout the week I get impatient, frustrated, stressed, etc, etc. As much as I try to stay focused I still get bogged down with the little troubles in my life. I lose perspective. And then Sunday rolls around and we get ready to go to church because that's what we do. My kids usually squirm through sacrament meeting and start whispering in my ear just when I really wanted to hear something but there's always that moment when I'm filled with the Spirit.

It can be a specific scripture, a certain song, or a comment from a lesson. And I know that the Lord is whispering to me. My priorities come quickly back into focus. I'm inspired to be more patient, more loving, more righteous. The Lord gently reminds me that I can't do it on my own. He will help me with my trials but I have to ask. I am reminded of the parable of the ten virgins. I don't know yet if I'm the wise virgin or the foolish virgin, probably somewhere in between but I do know that every time I go to church my lamp is being filled.

1 comment:

Melissa said...

I haven't been to church in over 4 weeks. I miss that spiritual side and can't see how people go without it. I'm looking forward to being back on a normal schedule.