Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Yong's Baptism Day



My dear friend and neighbor, Yong, on her baptism day.  Her journey has been an incredible experience for me.  Yong and I became friends through our daughters.  When they moved in across the street from us, my daughter about exploded with excitement.  We got to know each other and became friends also.  It didn't hurt that she also has a daughter that is Mallory's age.

Yong asked if she could come to church with us on Easter Sunday.  Of course we told her that we'd love her family to come with us.  The very next day, Yong asked me for a Book of Mormon and told me she'd like to see the missionaries.  I was excited, surprised, and more than happy to fulfill her request.

When the date approached for the missionaries to come over, I was a little worried about what she would think about these two young men.  Yong is a very intelligent woman, a medical researcher.  She was also raised as an atheist in China.  I knew she'd have tough questions.  Would we be able to answer those questions?  Would two young missionaries be able to answer them?

My fears were put to rest just a few minutes after we sat down together.  As the missionaries taught Yong, the room was filled with the spirit.  The Lord truly does speak through His servants.  Yong is amazingly intuitive and it seemed that her questions always led into the next topic of discussion.  We had incredible discussions about Buddhism, Taoism, and the universal language of love. 

After about six meetings, Yong told us that she wanted to get baptized.  She often thanks me for giving her the opportunity to learn about The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, but she needs to realize that the experience has been just as amazing and faith-building for us as it has been for her.  I am supremely grateful to have been given the opportunity to go on this spiritual journey with her.                

1 comment:

The Gray Family said...

love this :>)